Forums » General » Enquiring minds want to know

Messages for Enquiring minds want to know

Comment Posted by spider Nov 22, 2009 07:45 AM

If there is anyone out there who can shed some light, here is a question never before previously seen on any Winnipeg football forum.

Looking for some insight.

I just witnessed two player injuries, involving knees. The players in question basically inflicted the damage themselves. Simply put they made a cut, and injured themselves.

As a coach I have seen this potentially happen many times. (Obviously, like thousands of coaches we try and teach the proper mechanics of making such a cut) Withregardto these injury situations, a player tries to make a cut, and I assume due to their speed, power and change of direction,on artificial turf in particular, they get injured.

Now not all touch football players come from football coached backgrounds. Is that a problem with regard to making a "cut" (change of directon for non-football trained people???)

It's almost like we should have players who register, sign a form noting they have been taught how to make a cut(especially on artificial turf)

Maybe we should hold a mandatory player clinic, providing players with info on "how to make a cut in football." I would think that most players withsome formal football training, have been taught by our coaches, to "break down"(slow down), lower the centre of gravity, and then plant your foot in a 3 step prepatory sequence before the final plant to change direction??? Yes?? NO??

Does that sound logical??

As I stated I have seen 3 people, literally rip their ligaments or cartilage,(by themselves,) making a cut, seemingly on artificial turf. I am starting to cringe when I see this, as I am starting to expect the worst. I feel like yelling," Don't make that move at full speed, you have to slow down." But I feel I am an old white guy, whose forte wasn't ever speed, and I had my success, always by breaking down and making moves, as opposed to speed....so what do I know?

Does that happen on grass? Has anyone noticed the same thing?

If anyone can shed some light on this, maybe it's something we should make all our plaers aware of?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Hockey has that new "STOP" on the back of jerseys to prevent hitting from behind. Should we put a little sticker on our shoes saying "slow down" ( as a reminder to gear it down prior to making a cut??")

If you have ever had one of these torn ligaments/cartlage, you know how debilitating they can be.

Any ideas on this?

Comment Posted by marcus Nov 22, 2009 09:00 AM

I think last night's was a freak accident. I've never seen anybody do both knees on the same play. I hope he's doing better and has a speedy recovery.

NFL players blow out their knees all the time too, but if you have a training program to eliminate injuries then I'm sure you can make millions from it!

My shoes have stickers on them saying "speed up". It hasn't worked. Speaking of shoes though, people should be wearing the right footwear when they play football. Warming up, stretching and all the other things that nobody does is probably a good idea too.

Comment Posted by spider Nov 22, 2009 10:19 AM

Yeah it was totally freaky. Both knees? Never seen that before.

Comment Posted by thurston Nov 22, 2009 01:39 PM

I wonder if freak accidents such as these could've been prevented with proper footwear. The injured player in question was wearing Nike shocks. Sexy as they may be, Shocks are not proper footwear for Indoor play, specially on turf. They dont have enough grip and arent made for quick cuts. Running and looking sexy maybe.

I hope he has a speedy recovery. That was gnarly.

Comment Posted by spider Nov 23, 2009 06:31 PM

Yes that's right, plus I wonder if the artificial turf is that troublesome?(as opposed to grass?)

I never thought it was, but,I have seen a few people go down, untouched just making a cut. Now granted I don't usually watch outdoor games...so maybe my p.o.v. is skewered because of that..???

Just seems to be happening more frequently.

I know that the turf does grip much better than grass, just didn't think it would be a major "cause" of these injuries. Do ya think? Or or is it just improper equipment and/ or technique?

Crazy question I know...but what if??

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com